Every price tag comes with a cost to our environment
How every price tag comes with a cost to our environment.
1. Factories used for producing fast fashion brands garments, waste water flows in to our waterways and goes in to our agricultural systems.
2. Fast fashion gives out 1.2 billion tons of CO2 per year this is more than international air travel and shipping combined.
3. The fast fashion industry is responsible for 20% of global water waste, this is contaminating, drinking water, oceans, rivers and soil.
4. 60% of the clothes produced by fast fashion brands are made up of synthetic materials that come from petrochemicals. These materials don't decompose. They actually keep breaking down in to tiny bits until they are small fragments and this is what we call micro plastics.
5. A large issue is clothes that are no longer wanted wether they are unworn or worn if they are made from synthetic materials (majority of items brought from a fast fashion brand are) these items can sit in landfill for 200 years.